Tuesday, January 19, 2010


I'm not really proud of this piece.

Others have said that is has some redeeming qualities, but I don't see many. I was focusing way too much on detail that its soul had been squeezed out somewhere in the process. I should have been more bold and ignored the teeny tiny brush altogether. There was so much in the photo, I guess I wanted to include it all. It was back when deep down I thought I had some sort of moral imperative to duplicate everything that was before me. How wrong I was.
There is simply nothing that I find inspiring about this piece.

But still there is something I find amusing about it. The oddly shaped beemer, the graffiti, the fliers stuffed in the dirty windows.

Alright, I guess it's not that bad.


------


I was walking through Chinatown today with my 3 year old on my back and passed Dales Gallery on Fisgard. Even though I had promised Violet a hot chocolate - and there was no distracting her from that task - I felt compelled to go inside. The artist showing was Stephanie Harding . They were awe inspiring. The colours, the composition, her contemporary subjects. They really spoke to me. I told her that I could only dream to be as accomplished as her. She told me to give it time. Maybe, I thought to myself, but we both know it's not that simple.
www.stephsgallery.com

No comments:

Post a Comment